Formed over forty years ago, our Writers Circle is based in Felixstowe, Suffolk. Meetings are held in The Room at the Top in Felixstowe Library, normally on the first and third Tuesday of each month commencing at 7.30pm and finishing by 10.00pm. Check this weblog for details of meetings.

There is an annual November to November fee of £30, April to November is £20 and June to November £15. For members preferring to pay at each meeting the charge is £5 per meeting. To contact Felixstowe Scribblers simply email scribblers.1@btinternet.com or the Secretary, catherine.stafford1@ntlworld.com

Thursday 26 March 2020

A Prompt for your Creativity

Hello Scribblers
I hope everyone is coping and keeping safe and well.

I wanted to share something that I have found helpful in the last few days.
I have found it difficult to concentrate on writing, my brain cannot focus. But I have been given some writing prompts and techniques that I have found invaluable, and I thought I would pass them on.

It involves gathering three boooks- any really- but the suggestion is one novel, one poetry and one non-fiction.

Pick out some words from these books- choose a random page and pick out a verb from each book, a noun from each book, a word or phrase relating to the senses (smell, sight, taste, touch), a word or phrase relating to movement, an object, a word that sings to you, a word that makes you uneasy.
Keep picking out words that you are drawn to until you have a list of ten from each book.

Don't write straight away, but sit and dwell on your list, don't think, just let the words mingle in your mind.

Come back to the list in a while, and start writing, using the first word that grabs you. Just write, don't think.
As the inspiration from this prompt dries up, move on to the next word that sparks the story to continue. You don't have to use them all, but keep revisiting the list if the momentum slows.

These words will have been brewing in your mind. Playing with each other in your subconscious.

I tried this yesterday. I was really pleased with my story!
It was rough, rushed and in need of edit, but I'm so glad I did it- my mind felt refreshed by the exercise.
Please let me know if you give it a go.


Keep Scribbling!