Formed over forty years ago, our Writers Circle is based in Felixstowe, Suffolk. Meetings are held in The Room at the Top in Felixstowe Library, normally on the first and third Tuesday of each month commencing at 7.30pm and finishing by 10.00pm. Check this weblog for details of meetings.

There is an annual November to November fee of £30, April to November is £20 and June to November £15. For members preferring to pay at each meeting the charge is £5 per meeting. To contact Felixstowe Scribblers simply email scribblers.1@btinternet.com or the Secretary, catherine.stafford1@ntlworld.com

Saturday 16 May 2020

Shop Local- Use it or Lose it!

Hello Scribblers

I've just taken delivery of some lovely new books from my local bookshop.
Lucky Me!
They are mostly short story collections, with the aim of inspiring my own attempts at Flash Fiction and Short Stories.
I am lucky to have a local bookshop- Stillwater Books- Felixstowe- who can take orders by phone or email and will deliver them to my door.
I could, of course, have used Amazon, but it does worry me that the founder is about to become the world's first Trillionaire- that's quite some monopoly.
I want to be able to speak to a human, and when the current crisis is over, I want to be able to wander into a shop, and chat, and browse and touch- yes, touch the books before making my choice.
I worry that when this is all over, when we finally venture out to our local high streets, there may be some well-loved shops missing.
As this is a book related blog, I will focus on the book shops, but it equally relates to your lovely local greengrocers, bakers, hardware shops, cobblers....

Please see the link below if you want to find book shops in your area who may still be delivering.
https://www.booksellers.org.uk/bookshopsearch

A link below for the Visit Felixstowe page featuring Stillwater Books
http://www.visitfelixstowe.org.uk/shopping/stillwater-books-limited/

Thanks for listening to my little rant.
Keep safe Scribblers, Shop Local if you can, and Keep Scribbling!