Formed over forty years ago, our Writers Circle is based in Felixstowe, Suffolk. Meetings are held in The Room at the Top in Felixstowe Library, normally on the first and third Tuesday of each month commencing at 7.30pm and finishing by 10.00pm. Check this weblog for details of meetings.

There is an annual November to November fee of £30, April to November is £20 and June to November £15. For members preferring to pay at each meeting the charge is £5 per meeting. To contact Felixstowe Scribblers simply email scribblers.1@btinternet.com or the Secretary, catherine.stafford1@ntlworld.com

Saturday 30 April 2011

PEN TALES




Hey there strangers,
We're aware that it's been a while since you last heard from us, but don't despair! It's not because we don't love you, but because more of the action is now on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Join us there, and count on a message or two a month from us here as well.


And now to the topic of the moment: with so much political turmoil in the world right now, we’ve been hearing a lot of your perspectives recently on the topic REVOLT.



To us, REVOLT means out with the old...in the hopes of creating something new. Hence: the new PenTales Behind the Story video series, in which co-founder Saskia Miller speaks with people in the PenTales community about life, love, revolt, and lots of other things. In our first installment, Saskia chats with Mexican writer (and PenTales Damascus organizer) Diego Gomez-Pickering about living in Syria during pretty turbulent times. Let us know what you think, and whether you know of any interesting people who we should feature on the next Behind the Story.

Behind the Story: Damascus, Syria
REVOLT CONTEST WINNERS
Also announcing our REVOLT contest winner: Andres Torres-Scott’s story “Bazizi, the Fruit Seller." (Special thanks to New York Times best-selling author Dan Rasmussen for judging and reviewing all of the amazing submissions!). In the short story, Torres-Scott’s fruit seller gives up hope after experiencing a final indignity at the hands of the police. In his desperation, the man does something extreme: he lights himself on fire. Sound like a familiar story? That's because it's not unlike the real-life event that ignited the Tunisian revolution. Congrats to Andrew Torres-Scott and all the other great writers who submitted their REVOLT stories!



FIRST PRIZE: "BAZIZI, THE FRUIT SELLER" BY ANDRES TORRES-SCOTT “I’m taking some apples and a melon.” “That’s a lot, Madame police!” She took two plastic bags, filled them with some apples and pulled a melon. “Keep moving! Do you want another fine?” Bazizi spoke at her eyes: “Why are you doing this?....READ ON



SECOND PRIZE: "THE FIRST STONE" BY DEE TURBON "I took an oath. My hand on the book and I said I would not go. Swore to her I would not. Trust me, I said. I am an honest man and though my pockets are empty, I am my father’s son and I speak truth always. I meant what I said..."READ ON



THIRD PRIZE: "MY PAPA'S EYES" BY DAVID FRASER "I see my papa’s eyes weighted with two round stones, smoothed by river water. My mother’s tears drip upon my neck..." READ ON



Created in New York City by two childhood friends who loved to swap tales, PenTales empowers people to share stories (in photography, illustration, and writing) on the topics that unite us all. We aim to create nothing short of a PenTales Encyclopedia of Stories – a true catalogue of the human experience, one perspective at a time.

©2011 PenTales New York NY