Formed over forty years ago, our Writers Circle is based in Felixstowe, Suffolk. Meetings are held in The Room at the Top in Felixstowe Library, normally on the first and third Tuesday of each month commencing at 7.30pm and finishing by 10.00pm. Check this weblog for details of meetings.

There is an annual November to November fee of £30, April to November is £20 and June to November £15. For members preferring to pay at each meeting the charge is £5 per meeting. To contact Felixstowe Scribblers simply email scribblers.1@btinternet.com or the Secretary, catherine.stafford1@ntlworld.com

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Report of meeting

TUESDAY 1ST OCTOBER 2013 AT THE ROOM AT THE TOP 

Apologies were received from Barry D, Carolyn, Cathy, Clive and Susie H

Those present for the evening were Martin, Jane, Beryl, Dave, Dick, Barry, Liliane, Suzy G, Katy, Tony, Les and me, Caz.

Jack - Outward Bound
It was a welcome back for Jane after a number of months. She hopes to be able to attend on a more frequent basis in the future. The night was a little bitter sweet for her as she saw her 18 year old son Jack, himself a former attendee at Scribblers, leave Dover on his lone trek across Europe to Istanbul. We all wish him well on his journey and hope he gets safely back for Christmas!

The rental is due once more for the hire of The Room at The Top and our membership fees for those who pay annually will soon be due. It is hoped to hold the cost to £25 per year but will confirm this at our next meeting. The meeting by meeting charge should remain at £3.

As you will know there will be another Book Festival in Felixstowe next year. It is hoped we will be involved and might even take this opportunity of putting together a small anthology of work to launch and sell at the event. Some planning needed!!!

We paid our own little tribute to Ray who has moved to London with his wife to care for his daughter. He was a character and a gem of a writer. It made sense to read out the story he sent which would have been his entry to the Bill Budner Trophy.

RAY’S - THE PATIENCE OF THE IMPATIENT PATIENT 
Dave read Ray’s piece and it was all about how you wait and wait to see your doctor. As you wait you read the reams of notices about prostate cancer, Chlamydia, obesity and heart attacks and then when you eventually get in to see the doctor (45 minutes after your appointment time) he just looks at his computer screen and gives you the results he could have given over the phone but the receptionist had insisted on making the appointment.

The homework theme this time was “Pets” and what a mixture of tales we got...!

BERYL - THE LODGER 
A tale about growing up in a Jewish community, in Winthrop Street in the East End of London.  Having a best friend called Muriel who lived in a house very similar but ours was very close to the knackers’ yard with its distinctive smell. We were lucky that our parents took us to all the landmarks of London but on one those trips my brothers argued in front of a policeman and my Father was not amused. He told them they had disgraced themselves and the Jewish community and our trip was terminated. Our house had no bathroom; its lavatory was in the garden. We four children shared a bed and my parents had the other.

DICK – DON’T TELL SANDRA 
About a childless couple who lived next door to nightmare neighbours. Life was relatively quiet but for the neighbour’s son who had a menagerie of reptiles in his bedroom that were not always kept securely. Frank always worried that he might come face to face with an alligator, snake or tarantula. When the neighbour came a knocking to say their pregnant tarantula was missing. The neighbours hunted high and low for it, eventually it crawled out from its hiding place under a wheelie bin.

LES – LOVE OF ALL PETS  
All through their marriage they always had pets, from frogs to budgies, dogs and cats. Fred our frog lived in our very pretty pond in our garden.  We had a Budgie named Pip sat and nibbled our ears affectionately. Joan forbade me to swear in front of him! Our Tabby, Lucy was a real character who lived in the undergrowth. Our Llasa Apso puppy we named Barney - much disapproved of by Lucy the cat.  One day we found Barney one shivering in the pond which we decided to dispose of. Whilst doing so Fred suddenly appeared and ran off under the gate never to be seen again. Barney lived for sixteen years and had a good life with us as did all our pets. They were all much loved pets and we missed them all because all animals are beautiful.

LILIANE – IT TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO  
 I was quite resigned to leave when the new owners took over the house where I was a servant but was asked to stay as part of the family. From age fourteen I was a servant after I had left the orphanage. Their animals too were hard to get used to. The old Master had horses and dogs. Then Madame got herself an old cat in a kind of vengeance against her husband who only married her for her money. She doted on the cat and had it stuffed when it died.  A family living in a commune and all thirteen of them kept animals which took some getting used to. There was an awful parrot whilst Madame Annie loved cats then a dog was brought to the house as a present.  There was also a goat and there would be snakes and mice if certain people have their way.

KATY – MY ZOO 
My Wonderful Zoo -. A Staffie called Ty, a cat called Smudge, another called Patch,  a Bengal called Tober, Two Royal Pythons called Khal and Khaleesii,  and Taga a Tortoise,. Then there are the straight haired and curly haired guinea pigs. Ice, Teddy, Sandy, Punk, Rusty, Popeye, Little Lamb, Pop Corn, Humbug, Sunny, Peaeye, Muffin, Lollie, Chutney, Truffle, Black Sheep, Ribbon, Floss, Angel, Honey, Sugar, Cookie, Biscuit, Twinkle, Star, and a Himalayan called Boo, Chestnut and Treasure. They all mean the World to me and with them is where I like to be.

SUZI - THE QUESTIONNAIRE
Who likes being stopped in the street to fill in a questionnaire, - nobody?  This young girl was so charming she couldn’t resist helping her.  First question, are you seeking a pet or pets?  No way, we have enough to do without worrying about animals too.  Old people look stupid with little miniature dogs I always think. Is there a pet that could do the washing up I wonder? Enough breeding in this house as it is already. Aunty Mary got a puppy to replace her old Labrador, which went on to eat all her shoes. We could always have a pony but I can’t stand show offs. What does it matter where you live so why should they ask what kind of dwelling a new pet owner would live in? Fred’s friend’s cat has had kittens and Fred so wanted one but his Mum said no way. Tom packed his school books away and Tom’s Mother got a shock to see a tiny ginger-haired kitten. With the kitten purring she couldn’t resist saying yes.

MARTIN – WOMAN WITH CATS
She had two cats more than she said but she liked to stroke them. She was a widow now but during her marriage there was no touching, talking or intimacy. Don’t look, don’t touch, don’t tell. Or you’ll go to hell .He wasn’t a bad man but liked things regimented. In a row, things he could count. She thought about the girl in the thin cotton dress, riding her bike and touching the corn with her hand as she rode. She met another man at the tyre and exhaust centre and they went to the Cinema together. Had lunch in a pub and then she invited him home and danced with him in the kitchen. They went to the bedroom, no man had ever kissed her bare. She felt his kisses inside her. It was just for her, only for her a place of warmth and sunshine she realised that her young self was still here. Her daughter came to visit and said she looked different She was glowing with green, blue and yellow and she had a twinkle, and she shone.

BARRY M – ROBBIE
The clock struck seven. That’s not seven o’clock, just the number of people passing as the clock fell from the tower. I have to be careful what I write in case the local rag sues me. I have a rabbit called Robbie and he has a whole double bedroom as a run when his hutch is cleaned up. You have to be careful what you say and do around rabbits because they have feelings just like we humans do. I left George our Jack Russell with Robbie.  There was a rustle of a plastic bag and really strange noises coming from it. Then George barked and I looked and saw Robbie on George's back likje a cowboy, pulling at his left ear.  I took out my phone and recorded what I was seeing, as no-one would believe it. I started to write my homework but listened to the radio for inspiration. There was Robbie using his paws to type up my story at my desk Robbie said he would do the writing if I supplied him with fresh dandelions on a daily basis. I won the Bill Budner Trophy ten times consecutively until I was banned from entering. Now we all know my secret, it was not me writing at all but my dandelion munching reliable rabbit Robbie. 

JANE - A SPECIAL RECIPE
Polly knew it was going to be a bad day when she was ostracised in the playground by her neighbour, for giving her son’s friend fish fingers for his tea. They were 100% cod so even Jamie Oliver would be impressed, even though he thought you should only use fish in oil... Polly revealed to a friend later that she used to quite fancy Jamie Oliver but now she could throttle him as she remembered in her nightmare, his sign saying ‘failed Mother’. As she sank into her chair in despair she wondered how she could explain how she had managed to reverse over and kill Henry the family cat. In half an hour she had to collect the children so she had to think fast. She told them that Henry had a heart attack and she had taken him to the vets. No time to bury him, she hid the cat in the freezer overnight. As Polly explained about the cat just going to sleep, the doorbell rang and Suzie bounded in with Jamie Oliver’s pasta sauce, containing seven different vegetables. The other neighbour side then called and said, “You found him then? I’m so sorry I reversed over Henry in my haste to get to the hospital and didn’t have time to stop.” Polly was relieved it wasn’t her who killed Henry then Suzie screamed “you’ll never guess what’s in her freezer?” Polly put her fingers to her lips and said it was a Secret Jamie Oliver Recipe ...

TONY – THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE EMOH
Sharing an excerpt from his story Tony tells of Persia and Borox who lived in a semi detached cave in the times of the Stone Age Man. They had done some frolicking and Borox had put a spider down Persia’s dress. In her horror to rid herself of the creature, she fell and soaked herself with a bucket of water and Borox laughed like a drain. While getting dried off in a room behind a closed door Persia standing naked saw a person unknown to her staring at her. He had a scurrilous tale to tell of being sat there on this rock for many moons but could do nothing. Persia asked if he had seen her before and he affirmed that he had on many occasions. He insisted there was nothing wrong with this as he was her part-Grandfather and her nakedness was just so natural. Allirog has spent his whole life looking for you, replied Persia and when you turn up he is nowhere to be seen. As John Bubblan introduced himself officially, he took off his coat and offered it to Persia to hide her modesty, if a little too late to defend her modesty.

CAZ – OTHER PEOPLE’S PETS
My piece was about how five years ago I started to look after people’s pets in their own homes. How after Jack had died I felt a real need to get out of the house but didn’t really want to go back to office work. Totally by accident I looked after a customer of Karl’s cats, while she went to India for three weeks. Then I started my business of house/pet sitting. and now have a lot of regular customers whose homes I go and stay in, while they are away, from a night to a fortnight. Many of my customers have dogs, that I walk twice a day and feed and feel that looking after them, in their own homes, helps them to cope with being left by their owners. Much nicer than going to kennels. Most of my customers I have through word of mouth and although I will never make a fortune, with my very reasonable rates, it has given me some peace from my relenting grief at the loss of my only son.  I will never forget Jack or ever stop missing him but I feel in my heart he is with me, every step of every walk I take...

DAVE – MISSING
Shereen, our neighbour’s daughter and a pupil at the school I taught at, knocked on our door and asked “Have you seen my little Pussy?” As I spluttered my way to a reply I heard my wife stomping through the hall and asking “What’s going on here?” It was not the most ideal of situations standing between the ‘devil and the deep blue sea!. I trembled as the foundations shook in the wake of my wife’s thunder. Shereen had a twinkle in her eye and a beautiful body but she quivered at the sound of Merle’s voice. “I’ve lost my little pussy and I was asking if your husband had he seen it?” Merle was furious and told her not to come round here flaunting herself in this way. It didn’t matter that I tried to defend this young girl, as she tried to explain ‘Pussy’ is the name of her new kitten that had escaped from their home. I managed to find Shereen’s little pussy behind the garden shed but not before it sank its fangs into my hand and drew blood. In front of the Head Teacher the next day I asked Shereen, “how was her little pussy” and I’m still awaiting the disciplinary action that wll be heading my way.

Our next meeting is on Tuesday 15th October when our homework assignment is to write up to a 1,000 words on an event in your favourite historical period. It can be fact or fiction of course.

Hope to see you all there, in the meantime
Keep Scribbling!

Caz