Formed over forty years ago, our Writers Circle is based in Felixstowe, Suffolk. Meetings are held in The Room at the Top in Felixstowe Library, normally on the first and third Tuesday of each month commencing at 7.30pm and finishing by 10.00pm. Check this weblog for details of meetings.

There is an annual November to November fee of £30, April to November is £20 and June to November £15. For members preferring to pay at each meeting the charge is £5 per meeting. To contact Felixstowe Scribblers simply email scribblers.1@btinternet.com or the Secretary, catherine.stafford1@ntlworld.com

Friday 2 May 2014

PRESS RELEASE

Vicky Bailey from Sheffield has won £1,000 with her poem Call Of A Priestess In Shadows, we thought your members may be interested in reading the prizewinning poem.  Full details below.

For more information about our free to enter competitions please visit www.unitedpress.co.uk. If you would like a selection of free books for your writing circle, please e-mail your full postal address and include the name of your writer’s circle to claire@unitedpress.co.uk.

With kind regards
Claire


Spiritual Poem Takes £1,000 First Prize in Free Competition

A fantastical poem inspired by her pagan beliefs has won the £1,000 first prize in a free national competition for Sheffield care support worker, Vicky Bailey.
This UK-wide free competition especially for women called Ms Interpreted in conjunction with Chat Its Fate magazine.

Vicky, a certified Reiki healer, is working towards starting her own on-line business selling pagan supplies.

“All entrants had to do was email a poem or short story,” said Julie Embury of United Press. “Whether it was a daughter, mother, sister or grandmother we wanted to hear from new writers. We asked for the female point of view on absolutely anything and received nearly 1,000 entries. It can be so therapeutic and uplifting to write about your feelings.”
 

Text Box: In the picture Vicky (right) receives her prize from Carole Quinn of United Press at the presentation at Sheffield Central Library


For more information about free to enter competitions contact United Press Ltd, Admail 3735, London, EC1B 1JB  or visit www.unitedpress.co.uk or ring 0844 800 9177.                                                                     
“I began to explore my creativity in writing after becoming a pagan in my early teens,” said Vicky. “ Reading ancient mythology and hymns such as Egyptian pyramid texts and the works of Homer really inspired me to write. I’m also very much inspired by my partner Shannon.”


Vicky received a cheque for £1,000 and a commemorative framed certificate in a presentation at Sheffield Central Library for her poem, Call Of A Priestess In Shadows. The presentation was made by Carole Quinn of United Press.

“Women’s poetry is so inspirational,” said Carole. “This is because women have such a unique and incredible insight into life.”

You can read Vicky’s prizewinning poem below. You have permission to use it.

Call of a Priestess in Shadows
 
Hail most high Zeus!
To the heights of Heaven my soul doth cry!
Hail threefold Hekate!
To the depth of the earth where dead virgins lay!
To thee, great queen, my heart, and my tears!
Deceive me not, nor mislead me,
Let not her white gown be tainted with smears!
I hath descended, virgin, bitch, and all the rest, I hath embraced!
Hail most high Zeus!
To the heights of Heaven my soul doth cry!
Hail threefold Hekate!
To the depth of the earth where dead virgins lay!
In thy arms, Serpentine One, I lay me, in Hypnos’ embrace!
Guide me, preserve me, strengthen me,
In purity let the hidden mysteries of night her soul trace!
Hekate! Mystica! Brimo! I give thee praise!
Hail to thee most high Zeus!
To the heights of Heaven my soul doth cry!
Hail threefold Hekate!
To the depths of the earth where dead virgins lay!
To thy feet of stone, my hope, my truth I lean!
Look on me with mercy, this daughter of earth,
In grace and obedience, may she cross the dividing stream!
Hekate thrice great! Thrice adored! Thrice glorified!
Mistress of all! Mother of all! Ruler of all!
I praise thee!